Reverend Gilby Kelly, who presided over the Covington District, helped organize Florence Methodist Church in 1842. A lot was purchased on Banklick Street for $80 and deeded July 18, 1842 to trustees T.F. and M.B. Robinson, Will Respess, John Stansifer, and Thomas H. and Lewis Conner. Soon after, a frame building with a dirt floor was constructed.
By 1872, membership had grown to seventy-nine, and on August 20th Florence Methodist Church requested formation of the Florence Circuit. In 1900, the circuit had once again changed, forming the Erlanger Charge.
In 1931, a site on Main Street in Florence, was purchased under the pastorate of Rev. G.B. Traynor. In 1935, the existing building was abandoned as unsafe and the lot sold. The new building was completed until 1938, but was occupied since December 1936. Until that time, the church had used the I.O.O.F. Lodge for meeting and services.
In 1939, Rev. W.B. Conn was appointed as the first full time pastor. In 1944 the first parsonage was purchased. In July 1949, an addition was built on the existing building. In 1957, the first parsonage was sold and a new one purchased.
Growth continued and Florence United Methodist expanded its building in 1963 and again in 1968. In 1977, the existing parsonage was again replaced. The first church van was purchased in 1981, which allowed for regular Sunday transportation and youth and other group trips. In 1984, the remaining parts of the building were air conditioned.
In 1990, a Vision 2000 Committee was formed to help the church determine how to expand its mission. It was decided that the church needed to explore the purchase of a larger tract of land for future construction. Fifteen acres on Old Toll Road were purchased in 1993 and construction began in August of 1996. The church met at Boone County High School until June of 1997, when the new building was complete.
In 1998, The Creative Beginnings Preschool opened and Rev. Gary Gibson took over as Senior Pastor. A Narthex addition was approved in April 2007 and was named the Gathering Place.
Immediately following the last days of Creative Beginnings Preschool in 2017, the church began a new building addition and renovation project. During this project several of the children’s classroom spaces were renovated, a new building was built to include a new gymnasium/multi-purpose room space, new kitchen, and several classrooms. This new building attaches to the original building. Additionally, the Sanctuary was renovated during this process. The new building and renovations were completed in June of 2018.
In June 2023, Florence United Methodist Church became Florence Methodist Church. In November 2023, Florence Methodist Church became a member congregation of the Global Methodist Church. Although changing in name and location several times in over 180 years, FMC has been and continues to be a church that focuses on Jesus and the Truth of His Word. We always strive to seek him first and faithfully live out what he expects us to do and be as Christians. Our prayer is that Christ will keep us focused on how we, as a church, can best spread the Word and the love of a risen Savior.